So how do I attach to the frame? I welded one side of each tab to a piece of 1″ solid stock, then heat and bend. The 1″ stock has the same radius as the frame rails I’m attaching to. I end up with two nice radiuses on my mounting tabs. They hug the frame perfectly. I made some threaded slug inserts to bolt my new tabs to. This is a photo of a slug insert welded in. Now, what am I going to put my feet on? I started by bending up some 3/4″ solid stock. At this point I have the tab bolted to the frame. I am going back and forth from the bike to the vise, making one bend at a time. This is what I end up with. I made each bend contouring to the motor as well as ending up where I think my feet nee to be. I am always a fan of reusing parts. I think these were passenger pegs off a sportster. I just needed the ends, and the pegs. These are some of the pieces I machined for the moving parts. Here are all those small parts assembled and attached to the base. Also I used another tab to mount the rear master cylinder. I then fabricate and add the rear bake foot control and brake linkage. On to the left side. I decided to mount this tab on top of the tube, to clear the primary pully. Using the same process as before, I bend up a base. I have to contour to the motor, align with the other side, and clear the primary pulley. The second one is always harder then the first. At this stage, I make sure everything alined. Now that my base is in, I machine the moving parts for the left side. I turn down an area for the clutch pedal to pivot on. I trim down my base and fit up the new piece. Here you can see the shiny part is where the clutch pedal will pivot. I weld on the peg end and attach it to the base. Now for the clutch linkage and foot control. I formed a tab over a piece of 1″ stock. The clutch linkage will attach to this. I burn in a piece of 1/4″ stock and thread the end. The clutch linkage will bolt right up. Lastly, I modified the pegs to better fit the foot grips I bought. Here is the left side, clutch side, mid-control. Here is the right side, brake side, mid-control.
I never really liked forward controls. So I set out to build some mid-controls. After letting it stew for about a week, I had a rough idea of how I wanted to attack “THE MIDS”.
I have to say, I am more than pleased with the result!! The foot controls feel so good!
(check out the photos for a full write up)