Chain rub on rear of swingarm. Also a little rub on the front part of the swingarm. This is the notch for the rear of the swingarm. Rear notch. This is the notch for the front part of the swingarm. Both notches.
Well I knew it was going to be a tight squeeze, but chain rub is no good. What is nice about chain rub is it marks where you need cut. I made a rough cut out for a piece of 1.25″ x .120″ wall square tube. Then I shape in a piece of tube to fit the notch, and burned it in. I did the same in both cases. The chain was rubbing on the rear and the front of the swingarm.
With the notches the chain doesn’t even come close and the strength is still there. It’s all ready to repaint!!
Well the time has come!!!!
I broke her down and I’m starting to prep for paint. Theres a lot of work ahead, but the end is in site!! I can’t wait to go for a ride!!
We started by drilling out the ends of the cracks to stop them from spreading further. Then I cut a valley following each crack. My buddy Justin was in the shop that day and threw down some bitching welds closing all the cracks. Justin also did the finishing work. It’s like nothing ever happened.
Well shit happens and bikes end up on their side. Luckily it was an easy fix, and you wouldn’t even know it was cracked.
I started by cutting out the damaged panels. I then used the top of the oil tank as my template to cut out fresh steel. I also cut out the threads to be reused. Here is a look at the bottom panel that need repair also. I ended up chasing the damage from the bottom panel up the side of the tank. Luckily it when to the inside of the tank. I cut the mounting bracket out of the way, and the later replaced. The new metal for the bottom panel. All buttoned up and pressure tested!! I later added the mounting bracket back.
I had to do a little rehab on the horseshoe oil tank. It had some old brazing repairs that I didn’t like. The oil tank is ready to go now!