I started by cutting out the damaged panels. I then used the top of the oil tank as my template to cut out fresh steel. I also cut out the threads to be reused. Here is a look at the bottom panel that need repair also. I ended up chasing the damage from the bottom panel up the side of the tank. Luckily it when to the inside of the tank. I cut the mounting bracket out of the way, and the later replaced. The new metal for the bottom panel. All buttoned up and pressure tested!! I later added the mounting bracket back.
I had to do a little rehab on the horseshoe oil tank. It had some old brazing repairs that I didn’t like. The oil tank is ready to go now!
Since I’m going to be making the tunnel deeper, I started by cutting out the bottom of the tank. Fresh steel!! I had a donor Harley tank lying around, I decided to use it’s deeper tunnel. I mated the used tunnel and the fresh steel to make the bottom of the tank. I reused the petcock mount from the original bottom. Time to weld in the new tunnel. Looking good! I reinforced the mounting points to battle the engine vibrations. Rear reinforcemented Making the front tank mount. Just a piece of half inch stock drilled and taped. I ran the mount through the frame and burned it in. Preasure checking. Not as manny holes as I though there would be. I chased down all the pin holes for a good seal.
I found this bitchin little tank on Craigslist. It sits a little to high. So I decided to chop it! I kept the chrome in mind while making my adjustments, I don’t know if I will use it later for the finish. I also reinforced the mounting points to battle that Harley Davidson shake.