Well the time has come!!!!
I broke her down and I’m starting to prep for paint. Theres a lot of work ahead, but the end is in site!! I can’t wait to go for a ride!!
I started with a fender that was just lying around. I think its off a Yamaha XS750. I liked the shape of the front, and I needed a fender. When I started out the fender sat about two inches off the tire, and the mounting points were a inch off as well. So I started chopping away.
After all was said and done, the fender looks like it was made for the bike! I have it sitting 1/4″ off the tire now, instead off a gaping two inches. I also shorted the over all length for a more pleasing look.
This is the fender I came up with for the ’58 Pan-Head. Reworking the struts was a good decision! I like how it still has a nostalgic Harley Davison feel, with a custom twist.
So I wanted a fender that only mounted on one side of the fork. The original design I came up with seemed good enough, after all there’s not much of a fender. While off loading the bike one day I heard the fender make a “tin can” sound. Needless to say that drove me nuts. So back to the drawing board I went. I made the front of the mount more robust. I knew I also needed to stabilize the rear of the fender. I made a detachable strut that wraps around the fork and mounts to the rear of the fender. I decided to wrap the strut in fiber glass to save weight. The fender now has the rigidity it needs to keep things quiet.