I started out by making some rough marks where I wanted to cut. At this point I’m just trying to get a idea of where the lip is going to be.
I made a rough cut with the plasma cutter. I cut around the gas cap mount in order to reuse it on another tank.
I cut out a shape I thought would work for the lip and added it to the back of the tank. Then I massaged the opening to fit. I then added the new gas fill opening in a new location. All that is left is the top.
I then cut out the top of the tank. A little shaping on the slip roll and it dropped right in. This is the tank all burned in and pressure tested for leaks.
This is a 05-06 Kawasaki 636 tank I had hanging around the shop. I bought the bike for parts. I used the majority of the parts on a KZ650 build. The 636 tank was not going to be used, so I figured mod it out and sell it.