WOW!! The guys at Pipeburn wrote an amazing article about the Kz750. I’m so stoked!! Let me tell you this bike is just waiting for winter to lift it’s cloud.
The write up @ Pipeburn.com
Pipeburn always has amazing bikes to drool over!!
DONER BIKE: I started out with a stock 1980 Kawasaki Kz750 LTD.
DRIVE TRIAN: The 750cc motor has been completely torn down cleaned and all tolerances check against factory specifications. New piston rings were installed. I lapped and re-shimmed the valves, and installed new valve seals. All gaskets and seals have been replaced. The carburetors received a rebuild kit and new jetting. The exhaust is a four into one header, with a baffle and packing in place for noise reduction and back pressure.
ELECTRICAL: A new wiring harness, new blade style fuse block, and a Shorai lithium battery (saves space and worry) were installed. A new regulator/rectifier from Ricks Motorsport was also put in place. I installed a Dyna ignition, coils, and plug wires. The turn signals and taillight are LED. New 2.5″ LED backlit tack and speedometer were installed. Handlebar controls include, turn signals, HI/LO beam, horn, and flash to pass switch.
BRAKES/SUSPENSION: The forks, wheels, brakes, and swing-arm are from a stock ’78 kz650. I did this swap because I didn’t like the height of the Kz750’s front-end and the original swing-arm bushings were bad. I had the Kz650’s running gear from another build so I put it to use. In doing this the Kz750’s ride height really leveled out, and bushing problem was fixed. The forks have been rebuild and resealed. The brakes received new seals and new EBC pads. It has a new radial master cylinder in front and rebuilt master in the rear, and new braided steel brake lines all around. The rear swing-arm has been modified and reinforced to a mono-shock set up, using a CBR929 shock.
FRAME/BODY: The frame has been modified to accept the mono-shock conversion. The subframe is totally new and designed to suit the new suspension. In the subframe under tray (under the seat) is where you will find all the electronics including the battery. All Balls tapered steering bearings were used to update the neck bearings. The gas tank has been scalloped which is not only aesthetically pleasing but holds your knees quite well. The headlight bracket doubles as a gauge mount, and has turn signals built in. I made the seat pan to fit, and sent it over to Gotcha Covered Upholstery where they always do an amazing job!! In painting the Kz750 I went with a tri-tone of ivory white, Kawasaki green, and jet black. I use a base coat clear coat system.
The Kz750 is a absolute joy to ride, and gets more than its fair share of looks going down the road.
Well I knew it was going to be a tight squeeze, but chain rub is no good. What is nice about chain rub is it marks where you need cut. I made a rough cut out for a piece of 1.25″ x .120″ wall square tube. Then I shape in a piece of tube to fit the notch, and burned it in. I did the same in both cases. The chain was rubbing on the rear and the front of the swingarm.
With the notches the chain doesn’t even come close and the strength is still there. It’s all ready to repaint!!
I am at the end stages here!! I’m sure a few bugs will show their ugly little heads, but I’ll just deal with that when it happens. Stoked on everything so far though!!!